Whilst it may seem unusual to find a savoury style protein bar, these delicious slices will change your mind and offer a welcome change from the usual sweet bars sold in health stores.
Vegan and naturally gluten free, these Savoury Quinoa Pea Protein Bars are easy to make and are the perfect lunch box, picnic or hiking snack. You could change the types of nuts you use but the addition of Chia seeds is essential as they act as a binder and make the bars more solid with the bonus of added Omega fats.
Prep. Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25-30 minutes
- 1/2 cup of rolled Gluten-free oats or oat flour
- 1/2 cup of Phyto Pro Thrive Unflavoured pea protein isolate
- 1 to 1 and 1/2 cup of cooked and cooled quinoa
- 1/4 cup of chia seeds
- 1/3 cup of roasted* pistachios, chopped
- 1/3 cup of roasted* almonds, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon of fine sea salt
- 1 cup of almond milk (or other plant-based milk)
- 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
- Coconut oil to grease the pan
* You can dry roast the nuts gently in the oven at 180℃ for 8 minutes then cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180℃. Grease a 20cm square baking pan and line with baking paper.
- If you are using rolled oats you will need to whizz them in a food processor until they are ground to a flour. Otherwise place your oat flour in a bowl.
- Add the rest of the dry ingredients and thereafter the cooked quinoa and plant-based milk.
- Mix gently and briefly and transfer to your lined pan. Spread out evenly with wet hands or a greased palette knife.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown on top and firm in the centre. Leave to cool fully in the pan.
- Once cooled, place on a board and using a sharp knife, cut into 10 bars. Individually wrap bars in baking paper and store in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Alternatively store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- Each Savoury Quinoa Pea Protein Bar provides you with 11.1g of protein, 6.6g of fat, 3.5g of fibre, 204mg of sodium and 12.5g of carbohydrates, 1.7g of which are from sugars.