- 150g green lentils
- 100g black beans, soaked overnight and rinsed
- 2 litres water
- 2 fresh tomatoes, pureed
- 2 T vegetable stock powder
- 2 T coconut oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large bunch of Swiss Chard, torn from the central rib and finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 t ground cumin
- 1 red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- zest and juice of 1 large lemon
- Himalayan salt to season
- Place the lentils, beans and water / stock in a large saucepan and bring to the boil.
- In a separate pan, heat the coconut oil and lightly fry the onion and spinach. Add the garlic, cumin, pureed tomatoes and chilli and fry together for 2-3 minutes.
- Add this mixture to the legumes and slowly simmer until the liquid has reduced, the legumes are soft and the dish has reduced to a stew-like consistency (±60-90mins).
- Stir in the lemon zest and juice and serve hot.