- 1 large onion
- 2 T coconut oil
- 1.5 t Himalayan salt, plus more to taste
- 1 large sweet potato (350 g)
- 1 large leek, white and light green parts (140 g)
- 1 bunch spinach (225 g)
- 1 large bunch green chard (350 g)
- 3 T (30 g) chopped fresh ginger, plus more to taste
- 2 cups (500 ml) vegetable stock
- 2-4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- freshly ground black pepper
- Chop the onion and cook it slowly in the oil with a sprinkle of salt, stirring now and then, over low heat until it is soft and golden.
- Meanwhile, peel and dice the sweet potato and put it in a large soup pot with 4 cups (1 liter) water, the 2 cups of vegetable stock and a teaspoon of salt. Thoroughly wash the leek, spinach, and chard, chop them coarsely, and add them to the pot, along with the chopped ginger.
- Bring the to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer the soup, covered, for 30 minutes, or until the vegetables are completely tender. Add the caramelized onions when they are ready. Decide whether you want your soup chunky, like this, or smooth. If the latter, puree the soup in a blender, in batches, or with an immersion blender until it is smooth.
- Stir in 2 teaspoons of the lemon juice and a few grinds of black pepper. Taste, and correct the seasoning with additional salt or lemon juice. Use less water for a thicker soup.