“Rich and creamy,” “tasty and slightly tangy,” “oh-so-scrumptious” – these are some of the phrases used to describe this Creamy Vegan Mac & Cheese whenever we serve it to friends.
Packed with tons of flavour, hidden vegetables and a texture that leaves us so satisfied and always asking for seconds, it’s no wonder this is such a success!
Prep. Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
- 250g dry macaroni
- 1 cup of peel and diced yellow potatoes
- 1/4 cup of peeled and diced carrots
- 1/3 cup of chopped onion
- 1/2 cup of raw cashews, soaked for 30 minutes in boiled water
- 1/4 cup of coconut milk
- 3 Tablespoons of nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 pinch of turmeric powder
- 1 pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch of paprika
- Bread crumbs and/or vegan parmesan and/or parsley as topping
- Cook the macaroni until al dente, as per instructions on the pack. Drain and set aside in an oven-proof dish.
- Cook potatoes, carrots and onions, either by steaming or by placing in 4 cups of boiling water. Stop cooking until they are soft enough to blend.
- Place cooked vegetables in a blender. Add 3/4 cup of water used to boil the vegetables. If you chose to steam, you can substitute with 3/4 cup of either plain water or diluted vegetable stock.
- Add the remaining ingredients – soaked and drained cashews, coconut milk, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, salt, garlic powder, turmeric powder, cayenne pepper and paprika – to the blender and blend until smooth. Adjust salt to taste.
- Pour the creamy “cheese” sauce over the cooked macaroni and either serve as is, after garnishing with vegan parmesan and/or parsley, or…
- Alternatively, take your mac & cheese to the next level by sprinkling with breadcrumbs and baking in an oven preheated to 180℃ for 15 minutes, until the crumbs turn golden brown. Then garnish and serve.
This recipe has been adapted from one by Lindsey Rey.