Did someone say vegan trifle? There is nothing better than rounding off a special meal with layers of sponge cake, creamy vegan custard, bright colourful fruit, whipped vegan cream and our toasted Plant Food Walnuts.
This classic summer-inspired dessert is the perfect table addition for your festive season lunch. Everything is made from scratch so let’s dive straight into the recipe.
- Vegan Vanilla Cake (See recipe below)
- Vegan Jelly (See recipe below)
- Vegan Custard (See recipe below)
- 75ml Sherry or the syrup from canned fruit pieces
- 1 Can Mixed Fruit Cocktail (in syrup)
- 1 Can Sliced Peaches (in syrup)
- 200-400g Roasted Plant Food Walnuts
- Whipped Coconut Cream (Double Batch)
- Strawberries and Blueberries to decorate
- First , prepare your Vegan Jelly.
- Next, prepare your Vegan Vanilla Cake. Divide into 2 layers.
- Thereafter, start making your Vegan Custard. Set aside and allow to cool and thicken.
- Get your whipped coconut cream ready.
- To assemble:
- Place first layer of vanilla cake at bottom of a trifle dish.
- Prick holes into cake and pour over half the sherry or fruit syrup.
- Drain can of mixed fruit and add fruit to top of cake.
- Add half the roasted Plant Food Walnuts.
- Then add half your Vegan Jelly.
- Then add half your Vegan Custard.
- Add the second layer of the Vegan Vanilla Cake and pour over the remaining sherry or fruit syrup.
- Drain can of sliced peaches and add to top of cake.
- Add the remaining Plant Food Walnuts, followed by the rest of the vegan jelly.
- Top with the whipped coconut cream and decorate with strawberries & blueberries.
- Place into the fridge to allow all the layers and flavours to set together.
Vegan Vanilla Cake Ingredients:
- 1 and 3/4 cups All-Purpose Flour or Gluten-Free Flour
- 1 cup White Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Soy Milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/3 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp White Vinegar (or Apple Cider Vinegar)
Vegan Vanilla Cake Instructions:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl.
- Add the sugar, baking soda and salt and mix together.
- Add the soy milk, vanilla, oil and vinegar and give it a quick whisk with a hand whisk until just combined.
- Grease two 14cm cake tins with coconut oil and cut parchment paper into circles to fit the bottoms.
- Divide the batter evenly between them and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and using a toothpick, insert into the center of the cake. If it comes out clean then your cake is done.
- Move to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Vegan Jelly Ingredients:
- 3 tsp Agar Flakes or 1 1/2 tsp Agar Powder
- 2 cups Red Grape Juice (100% fruit juice)
- 2 cups Water
- 1/2 cup White Sugar
Vegan Jelly Instructions:
- Add the agar flakes or powder, water, fruit juice and sugar to a pot on the stove.
- Bring to the boil stirring regularly.
- Allow to boil for 2 minutes.
- Pour into large dish to set and refrigerate to set.
Vegan Custard Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 Cup Coconut Milk
- 1 1/2 Cup Freshly Squeezed Orange Juice
- 5 Tbsp Corn Starch
- 4 Tbsp Maple Syrup
Vegan Custard Instructions:
- Mix the coconut milk, orange juice and maple syrup in a small pot.
- Take out 4 tablespoons and place in a bowl.
- Place the cornstarch in the bowl and mix well until combined.
- Bring the pot to a boil on medium heat, then remove once boiling. Next, while constantly whisking, add the cornstarch mixture.
- Bring the pot back to the stove and lower the heat.
- Constantly whisk until the custard starts to bubble.
- Take it off the heat and continue whisking for an extra minute.
- Pour into a serving dish of your choice , then place in the fridge.
- Allow to set for a couple hours and enjoy!