These vegan, gluten-free protein brownies are sweetened with mineral-rich, nutritious, plant-based sweeteners. It’s important to choose a quality all-purpose gluten-free flour mix otherwise the end result will be grainy and you can also make them with regular flour as opposed to gluten free if that’s not your dietary preference.
Despite the fudgy rich decadent quality of these brownies they contain quality raw cacao which is a rich source of essential minerals and our THRIVE Chocolate Daily Protein Powder has given them an extra protein boost!
Prep. Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 17-20 minutes
- 2 flax eggs (1 Flax egg = 1 tbsp ground flax mixed with 3tbsp water)
- ½ cup coconut oil (use proper measuring cups)
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup maple syrup or agave
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ½ cup Phyto Pro Raw Cacao powder or cocoa powder
- ½ cup gluten-free all purpose flour
- ¼ cup almond flour/meal
- ¼ cup Phyto Pro Thrive Chocolate daily protein powder
- 1 cup almond or plant based milk
- 1/3 cup pecans or walnuts (optional)
- 1/4 cup vegan chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180C and lightly grease an 8×8-inch square pan with coconut oil, finally lining it with baking paper.
- Mix the flax eggs and place to one side.
- In a large bowl place the melted coconut oil, coconut sugar, maple syrup & vanilla and whisk till the sugar has dissolved.
- Whisk in the flax eggs and almond milk thoroughly.
- In a separate bowl sift in your baking powder, Cacao, salt, flour and almond meal.
- Fold in the dry mixture into the wet with a metal spoon until thoroughly combined and you have a thick batter. You can add most of the chopped pecans reserving some for decoration on the top.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan with a spatula and smooth out the top evenly adding the residual chopped pecans and some vegan chocolate chips.
- Bake for 17-20 minutes, depending on your oven – the inside should no longer be wet and sticky and the outside of the brownies dry.
- Remove from oven and let cool in the pan for at least an hour or 2 – in fact the longer you can leave them (even overnight if you can resist) the better.
- The texture of these vegan gluten-free protein brownies will improve and they will be easier to slice. Use a sharp knife to cut them into 9 or 12 squares depending on your preference.
- Will keep for 3-4 days in an airtight container